Reimagined Shared Housing
Product Transformation for business efficiency
39% customer conversion increase.
Improve operational efficiency by 200 + hours per week
Supporting our nationwide expansion for HubHaus.
My Role - Senior Design Lead
Collaboration with CEO, Engineers, Growth, House Operation.
Mentored and trained UX interns and UX writers and in-house staff as researchers.
Back story -
I joined HubHaus in March of 2018. There was only one designer on the team before I arrived. There was a version of the website, the tenant portal, and the admin portal. Luckily HubHaus had already proven a product-market fit, so we were looking to scale to more states and cities. I got in at the right time to create valuable digital tools for the staff.
The Problems of rental in expensive cities
The solution is in "coliving"
HubHaus Digital Platform Ecosystem redesign
At first, the goal was to keep the development lean. The product team conducted A/B testing and optimized the website piece by piece to accomplish this. However, the problems stated gave us a reason for a site revamp.
Primary product problems:
1. Lack of a flexible code structure for testing and experimentation.
2. Bad usability, especially mobile UX causing a drop-off. Visual Design was outdated, causing a lack of trust.
I lived in one of the HubHaus residencies for six months to experience our product.
Reviewed recorded user interactions on the HubHaus website via Hotjar
Conduced eleven live user studies with potential users using different devices.
Gathered website data. (including Google analytic, Mixpanels & Periscope data.)
What did we find?
Bad usability led to high drop-off, and an outdated visual design led to a lack of trust
1. Mobile/tablet had usability problems, resulting in only half of the conversion rate compared to the desktop site.
2. The website did not have a user flow for users with different needs or in different stages of the room searching.
3. Lack of some features to support user interactions.
4. No efficient navigational system.
A revamp of Tenant User Experience & Service Design
1. Simplified the top menu bar options to decrease confusion and help guide potential tenants landlords.
2. Encouraged cross-page browsing to keep users on the page. I found every potential touchpoint that would drive users to browse more houses.
3. Enhanced the after-booking journey by recommending more houses which resulted in a 33% increase of the number of showings booked per user.
Brand and Design System for trust-building and scalability
The color is too contrasting and makes it hard to have it in different colored backgrounds.
A House shape - Hub"Haus."
Infinity loop - Community effect
Puzzle- Diverse people getting together
A Snippet of HubHaus Design System ( along with Vue.js Library)
Emails and other marketing design built
I also take portaits photo for every team member to keep a consistent Brand
A set of portraits for the team, as we have a global team, it helps boost team moral.
From marketing site to SaaS. to enterprise tools
Admin system - Internal tools.
Stage 1: Proven success
book a house showing rates
5.9 increased to 6.5
The satisfaction rate for Tenant after Tenant Portal Improvement
Estimated 200 + hours/week
cut in labor cost with 10+ Internal tools built
Lucy the PM:
OMG, the site conversion is nearly 40% better than the old one!
Kei the VP of growth:
This is awesome! How!
Challenge & Learning
What we did well
Good consistent branding helped to build trust and to drive high booking rates.
We made considerable Improvements in information architecture and UX for mobile, tablet, and desktop.
We improved website speed. Our tech team changed to Vue.js and built a good foundation for future UI development changes.