top of page
website header.png

Case study

HubHaus Coliving
Reimagined Shared Housing

Product Transformation for business efficiency

39% customer conversion increase.
Improve operational efficiency by 200 + hours per week
Supporting our nationwide expansion for HubHaus.

My Role - Senior Design Lead
Collaboration with  CEO, Engineers, Growth, House Operation.
Mentored and trained UX interns and UX writers and in-house staff as researchers.
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 5.40.59 PM.png

Back story -

I joined HubHaus in March of 2018. There was only one designer on the team before I arrived. There was a version of the website, the tenant portal, and the admin portal. Luckily HubHaus had already proven a product-market fit, so we were looking to scale to more states and cities. I got in at the right time to create valuable digital tools for the staff.

HubHaus Series B Deck MAR 25.jpg

The Problems of rental in expensive cities

The solution is in "coliving" 

HubHaus Series B Deck MAR 25 2.jpg

Stage 1:
HubHaus Digital Platform Ecosystem redesign

At first, the goal was to keep the development lean. The product team conducted A/B testing and optimized the website piece by piece to accomplish this. However, the problems stated gave us a reason for a site revamp.

Primary product problems: 

1. Lack of a flexible code structure for testing and experimentation.

2. Bad usability, especially mobile UX causing a drop-off. Visual Design was outdated, causing a lack of trust.

Research conducted


I lived in one of the HubHaus residencies for six months to experience our product.

  • Reviewed recorded user interactions on the HubHaus website via Hotjar

  • Conduced eleven live user studies with potential users using different devices.

  • Gathered website data. (including Google analytic, Mixpanels & Periscope data.)

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 1.47.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.55.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 6.47.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 7.01.10 PM.png

What did we find?
Bad usability led to high drop-off, and an outdated visual design led to a lack of trust 

1. Mobile/tablet had usability problems, resulting in only half of the conversion rate compared to the desktop site.

2. The website did not have a user flow for users with different needs or in different stages of the room searching.

3. Lack of some features to support user​ interactions.


4. No efficient navigational system.


A revamp of Tenant User Experience & Service Design

1. Simplified the top menu bar options to decrease confusion and help guide potential tenants landlords.

2. Encouraged cross-page browsing to keep users on the page. I found every potential touchpoint that would drive users to browse more houses. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.45.59

3. Enhanced the after-booking journey by recommending more houses which resulted in a 33% increase of the number of showings booked per user.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.24.31
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 9.45.56 AM.png

Brand and Design System for trust-building and scalability

1_ay0UZjBGXpumzII8UaG4fg (1).png

The color is too contrasting and makes it hard to have it in different colored backgrounds.

Primary Logo black font small.png

A House shape - Hub"Haus." 
Infinity loop - Community effect
Puzzle- Diverse people getting together

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 9.46.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.07.57
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.08.20

A Snippet of HubHaus Design System ( along with Vue.js Library)

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.29.35 AM.png

Emails and other marketing design built

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 5.49.09 PM.png

I also take portaits photo for every team member to keep a consistent Brand
A set of portraits for the team, as we have a global team, it helps boost team moral.

Digital ecosystem
& Scalability
From marketing site to SaaS. to enterprise tools

Admin system - Internal tools.

The Processes

Content&Social Media - Frame 1 (2).jpg
HubHaus Experience_2x (4).png


Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 5.03.51 PM.png

Stage 1: Proven success

book a house showing rates 

5.9 increased to 6.5
The satisfaction rate for Tenant after Tenant Portal Improvement

Estimated 200 + hours/week
cut in labor cost with 10+ Internal tools built

Lucy the PM:

OMG, the site conversion is nearly 40% better than the old one!

Kei the VP of growth:

This is awesome! How! 

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 3.17.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 3.16.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 3.23.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 3.16.00 PM.png

Challenge & Learning

What we did well  

  • Good consistent branding helped to build trust and to drive high booking rates.

  • We made considerable Improvements in information architecture and UX for mobile, tablet, and desktop.

  • We improved website speed. Our tech team changed to Vue.js and built a good foundation for future UI development changes. 

bottom of page